This band 8 essay sample was submitted by one of our students. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for just US $3.5
The number of older people is increasing. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this?
Band 8 IELTS Letter Sample
The ageing population is a problem that many countries now face. While it is true that seniors contribute to the society in many ways, in my opinion, having a large population of older people has more disadvantages than advantages.
Seniors can certainly contribute to the society in some ways. They, undoubtedly, have accumulated more knowledge over the years compared to their younger counterparts. They are possibly the best persons to get advice from as they have encountered almost every situation that one is expected to encounter in their lives. They also have in-depth knowledge on different life or career experiences. Thus, the younger generation can easily entrust them with taking care of their children. This is usually the area wherein youngsters lack valuable knowledge and expertise.
Yet, I believe that there are more disadvantages than advantages to having a large population of seniors. Older people are the most unproductive lot in the workforce of a nation. Most of them are dependent on their children because they are unable to work and retire as a result. Besides, at a certain age, they are more susceptible to developing numerous diseases and illnesses. Therefore, medical care is an utmost requirement and it comes with a hefty price. Nursing homes are not cheap either and caring for elderly sick people is never an easy feat. In other words, they are deemed as a financial burden on their children. Even those who choose to continue working are unwilling or unable to pick up new skills and knowledge to keep up with the technology.
To sum up, the drawbacks of having a large ageing population definitely outweigh the benefits. Economically, the ageing population does not add much value to the society.
- IELTS Essay: The number of older people is rising. What are the advantages or disadvantages of this?
- Band 8.5 Essay Sample | There Are More Young People Than Old People In Many Countries
- Band 9 essay sample about traditional values of older people
- IELTS essay sample | Young managers are better than older managers. Do you agree?
- IELTS essay sample: Effects of increasing population
- IELTS Essay: Older people are going to outnumber younger people…
- IELTS essay sample | Seniors and youngsters are competing for the same jobs
- IELTS essay: Are younger employees more valuable than older employees?
- Band 9 essay sample: The advantages and disadvantages of longevity
- IELTS sample essay: A lot of older people suffer from loneliness these days