Band 8 Essay Sample | Traditional Medicines Are Better Than Modern Medicines
The following is an essay submitted by one of our students.
More and more people are suffering from health problems caused by a modern life style which cannot be treated with modern medicines. Some people think that a return to traditional medicines should be encouraged.
To what extent do you agree?
Band 8 essay sample
An ever increasing number of people now face health issues caused by a sedentary life style and high levels of stress. Some people suggest that traditional medicines can solve many of these health concerns and therefore we should go back to them. I agree with this view. In my opinion, traditional medicine holds the key to cure many diseases that cannot be cured by modern medicine.
Firstly, modern ways of living and working has created an environment of excessive stress and pressure, especially among urbanites. Lack of sufficient physical activities and frequent consumption of processed foods has a very harmful effect on the body. As a result, people become more prone to chronic diseases like cancer and diabetes, which are very difficult to cure, if not diagnosed correctly in the initial stages. For instance, brain and liver cancer are still incurable by allopathic medicine and there is no breakthrough solution in sight yet. Interestingly, the occurrences of these diseases are uncommon among people who follow a healthy lifestyle and consume natural herbs and roots.
It is, therefore, no surprise that some people have started advocating a switch from allopathy to traditional medicines due to their proven history of treating major health problems without many complications. In other words, such herbal treatments do not harm the body by inflicting side-effects on other organs during the course of treatment. This is because ancient medicinal systems such as Ayurveda treat diseases by attacking the root of the problem and heals the body thorough a holistic manner. To illustrate a point, Cuticurin, a substance found in the root of turmeric, plant has been clinically proven to be effective at attacking the specific cancer cells in the body leaving aside the good cells. By contrast, modern techniques like chemotherapy have dangerous side effects.
In conclusion, I believe that the absence of side effects and the ability to treat the body in a holistic manner makes traditional medicines more effective at curing health problems caused by the modern lifestyle.
- IELTS essay: Traditional food is being replaced by international fast food
- Band 9 essay sample about traditional values of older people
- IELTS essay: Has technology caused traditional ways of life to die
- Band 7.5 Essay Sample | Modern Inventions Cause More Problems Than Solutions
- IELTS sample essay: Modern technology has made our lives more complicated
- Band 9 essay sample: All governments should ban smoking in public places
- Using not only/but also
- IELTS essay about the advantages and disadvantages of modern communication technologies
- Band 9 essay sample | Should schools teach traditional subjects like history?
- Band 9 Essay Sample | Everyone Should Adopt Vegetarianism