IELTS Essay prompt
Some people believe that the internet should be regulated. Others are against any forms of internet censorship. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
The internet gives us access to limitless amounts of information. There is no denying the fact that it exposes us to both ‘good’ and ‘bad’ content. Some people believe that the internet should be regulated and censored. Others disapprove of any kind of censorship because they feel that the internet is a vent through which the oppressed can express their opinion.
Supporters of internet censorship argue that the internet has content that might be inappropriate for certain people. For example, they don’t want children to be exposed to the online terrorist propaganda or pornographic materials. This is indeed a valid point. The internet does host lots of materials that are inappropriate for young children.
However, many people do not regard this argument as legit. In their opinion there are several ways to block inappropriate content. Parental control software is one of them. It is quite effective and allows parents to control the content their children access online. In fact, parents can exercise the best form of control by simply moving the computer to the living room. This way they can keep a tab on their children’s online activities.
Some totalitarian governments use the inappropriate content argument for their benefit. They censor the internet to suppress their opposition. In my opinion, this cannot be tolerated at all. Governments that control the internet are merely demonstrating their inability to manage their affairs. They are afraid of their people and don’t want their opinions to be heard. National security is important but it cannot be at the expense of freedom.
To conclude, I firmly believe that there are no valid grounds for internet censorship. I sincerely hope that governments around the world will understand this and stop censoring the internet.
- IELTS sample essay: should internet be regulated?
- Band 8 Essay: Public libraries are no longer required because of the internet
- IELTS sample essay: Should governments provide free internet?
- How to make your essays and reports sound more formal
- Band 9 essay sample | Printed books and magazines have lost their importance
- IELTS Writing – Reports
- Band 9 Essay Samples | Advantages and Disadvantages of Online Shopping
- IELTS Essay: Friends have a greater influence than parents on young people
- IELTS essay: Is television a better source of information than traveling?
- Using on the one hand, on the other hand