The following is an essay submitted by one of our students.
Some people with a good education and experience in their field decide to move abroad to work. Why do you think that is? What are the problems caused by this?
You should spend about 40 minutes on this task. Write at least 250 words.
Band 8 essay sample
Some people with excellent academic qualifications and relevant experience in their fields move to other countries with the objective of earning a higher salary and/or having a better quality of life. This can cause a shortage of talented and skilled professionals in their home country leading to slower economic development at times.
Many highly talented professionals look forward to moving to other countries for getting international work exposure and enjoying a better quality of life. This can be due to lack of sufficient opportunities for career growth or not getting decent remuneration for their technical skills in their own country. In other words, these people want to progress quickly in their job, improve their lifestyle and have a proper work-life balance. For instance, many expert doctors and specialist surgeons from India migrate to work at hospitals in western countries like the USA and the UK for higher pay-packages and an opportunity for further research and development in their field. This trend could have been prevented if they had the chance to work in a better environment and earn a competitive salary in India.
One of the major adverse effects caused by this phenomenon of brain drain is that it deprives the local population of good services in the area of science and technology. This is because such an exodus of much of the creamy layer of skilled professionals creates a serious supply gap that affects the availability of skilled professionals in their country. For example, the number of doctors available in India per million people is a dismal 500, whereas, in the USA there are 2300 doctors to cater to a population of a million. Fees for medical treatments have also increased exorbitantly due to the severe shortage of medical staff and caused enormous difficulties to the overall population.
In conclusion, many highly qualified professionals migrate to other countries for better work opportunities and quality of life. However, this trend creates many issues like brain drain and a severe shortage of skilled labour causing difficulties to people in their home country.
- Band 7.5 essay sample: Developed nations should give financial aid to undeveloped nations
- Band 8 essay sample | Birthrates are dropping in the developed world
- Band 7.5 essay sample | Should wealthy nations share their wealth among poor nations
- IELTS essay sample: Effects of increasing population
- Band 8.5 Essay Sample | There Are More Young People Than Old People In Many Countries
- IELTS essay sample: People are living longer. Is this a positive or negative development?
- Band 7 essay sample | Rich nations should help poor nations
- IELTS essay: Do you think that moving abroad for better jobs is good?
- Band 8 essay | Should wealthy nations help poor nations?
- IELTS essay sample | Differences between nations are becoming negligible