Some people think that it is better to educate boys and girls in separate schools. Others, however, believe that boys and girls benefit more from attending mixed schools. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
Throughout the history, there has always been a gender gap. Only in recent years have we started ‘breaking the walls’ between the genders. Even so, it is still a hot topic whether there should be mixed-gender schools or not.
From my perspective, boys and girls have much to learn from each other. Therefore, they should study together. In this essay, I am going to discuss the benefits and drawbacks of mixed-gender and single-gender schools.
To begin with, we live in a world full of different nationalities, races, genders, and cultures. It is important for an individual to treat everyone around them with respect. That is why we need mixed-sex education. It will help children to understand each other’s uniqueness and provide them with the opportunity to acquire interpersonal skills.
On the flip side, single-sex schools focus on gender-specific activities like knitting or cooking for girls and mechanics, electronics or carpentry for boys. Consequently, graduates from this type of institutions will have greater skills and knowledge in those activities. That, potentially, can provide them with benefits in their careers. For instance, a girl who learned cooking or designing at school can easily become a professional cook or a designer when she grows up.
To recapitulate, both types of educational systems have their advantages and disadvantages. Nevertheless, mixed-gender institutions tend to prepare their graduates to the real world situations better than single-gender schools. It is essential to remember that every successful person should know how to interact/communicate with different categories of people. This skill can only be obtained from a diverse environment such as mixed-sex schools.
- Band 7 essay sample: Some people believe that boys and girls should be taught in separate schools
- Band 9 IELTS essay: Should children go to mixed schools?
- IELTS Band 7.5 Essay Samples: Money Management Skills Should Be Taught At Schools
- IELTS essay sample | Private schools should be banned
- Band 9 essay sample: Should schools remove non-academic subjects from the syllabus?
- IELTS Essay: Are schools providing specialized training better than those providing general education?
- Band 7 essay samples: Should noisy and disobedient students be taught separately?
- IELTS essay sample: Should sports be taught at school?
- When to use commas to separate words and phrases
- IELTS essay sample | Schools should teach students to become good citizens rather than independent thinkers