Some people think that books are losing importance as a source of information and entertainment. To what extent do you agree?
Band 8 Essay Sample
Although, books were a good source of information and entertainment in the past, some people believe that books are increasingly becoming less important as a source of knowledge and entertainment. I strongly agree with this statement for the following reasons: the invention of the internet and the introduction of different kinds of entertainment.
To begin with, people these days are becoming less dependent on books as a source of information. The invention of the internet has changed the way we gain information and knowledge because of the easy access to such information. In the past books were the only source of information but nowadays the internet has become the main source of such information. For example, a recent survey in the U.S. found that ninety per cent of people totally rely on the internet to gain information. As a result, books are becoming less important as a source of information.
Furthermore, books are also increasingly being deserted as a way of entertainment because there are many kinds of entertainment available these days. People are more interested in other types of entertainment such as playing football and swimming as they all are beneficial to our health. For instance, a study in Australia found that more than eighty five per cent of people prefer other ways of entertainment because of their health benefits. Consequently, books are losing their role as a source of entertainment.
To conclude, I absolutely agree that the importance of books as a source of information and entertainment is fading in today’s world. The invention of the World Wide Web and the introduction of other types of entertainment are the reasons for this argument.
- IELTS essay: Is television a better source of information than traveling?
- Band 9 essay sample | The internet is not a reliable source of information
- Band 9 essay sample | Printed books and magazines have lost their importance
- IELTS sample essay: Should governments provide free internet?
- Band 8 essay sample | Libraries are no longer required
- Band 7.5 essay sample | Libraries are no longer needed
- IELTS Listening module overview
- Band 8 Essay: Public libraries are no longer required because of the internet
- IELTS essay sample | Should the governments spend a lot of money on developing internet infrastructure?
- Band 8 essay sample | Should employees share personal information with the employer?