People in all modern societies use drugs, but today’s youth are experimenting with both legal and illegal drugs, and at an increasingly early age. Some sociologists claim that parents and other members of society often set a bad example.
Discuss the causes and some effects of widespread drug use by young people in modern day society. Make any recommendations you feel are necessary to help fight youth drug abuse.
• You should write at least 250 words.
• You should spend about 40 minutes on this task.
Band 8 essay sample
Drug addiction is an alarming threat to any society in the world. Unfortunately, unlike in the past, more and more teens are now falling prey to drug abuse. According to some social scientists drug abuse is increasing due to peer pressure. This essay will discuss the causes and effects of drug abuse and also suggest some solutions to this vexed problem.
To begin with, it is an undeniable fact that the behaviour of parents has a direct impact on children. It is very natural for children to follow their parents and imitate their habits. For example, a 2014 survey published by Asian Times revealed that 70 percent of children whose parents are chain smokers start using drugs at the age of nine. Thus it is evident that substance abuse among parents is one of the major causes of the same among children and teens. Friends are equally to blame. Humans by nature are influenced by the activities of their friends.
One of the greatest social scientists once said that if you want to know the character of a person, you only have to look around his friend circle. Children who are in bad company will most probably develop the same bad habits. To illustrate, I have seen many of my innocent university friends later abuse themselves with drugs after getting into bad company.
To get around this problem, the government should take some initiatives to educate youngsters about the ill effects of drugs on their body and mind. The government can rope in the media and celebrities to drive home the message. Parents also need to monitor the activities of their children and set an example themselves.
To put it in a nutshell, drug addiction is a serious issue and a threat for any nation. Therefore, the government as well as the society should take some measures to protect its people, especially the young generation, from this menace.
- IELTS essay: Teenagers are becoming addicted to drugs
- IELTS Essay: Friends have a greater influence than parents on young people
- IELTS Writing: Model Essay 1
- IELTS essay: Why is the crime rate increasing?
- IELTS essay about youngsters and adventurous sports
- Band 9 essay sample about increasing tax on food items
- Band 9 essay sample: Should governments fund higher education?
- Band 8 essay sample about the impact of computer use on children
- IELTS essay sample | Children spend too much time watching TV
- Band 8 Essay Sample | Unpaid Community Service Should Be Part Of High School Curriculum