The following is an essay submitted by one of our students.
In some countries, governments are encouraging industries and businesses to move to regional areas outside the big cities. Do the advantages of this trend outweigh the disadvantages?
With the dramatic increase in population globally, a challenge faced by many big cities is insufficient land space. Governments have been providing incentives for people to relocate to regional areas. However, none of these seem to solve the issue of congestion. The problem lies in employment, as people prefer to live close to work. By encouraging industries and businesses to move to regional areas, lots of benefits will be achieved.
Industries and businesses are the main drivers of economy. With their existence in regional areas, people will be attracted to move out of big cities. These people get better chances to secure jobs in a less competitive environment. As more people in rural areas get employed, their spending power increases. A chain effect then takes place, attracting more businesses to meet the demand in these areas. Apart from that, with industries and businesses moving out of cities, the cities become more liveable. The decrease in congestion, vehicular traffic, pollution, and competition allows city folks to live a less stressful lifestyle.
On the flip side, industries and businesses may face some challenges during early stages of transition. Moving to an area with low demand will not be profitable for them. However, there is a way around this. Businesses can still have offices in cities to develop business, while relocating their plants and manufacturing facilities to regional areas. What is more, building or renting facilities in regional areas are much cheaper.
All in all, the advantages of relocating industries and businesses to regional areas clearly outweigh any drawbacks. As long as businesses are willing to adapt, communities in big cities and regional areas will benefit from this change as well.
- IELTS essay sample | Consequences of overpopulation in urban areas
- IELTS Band 7 Sample Essay: Should Governments Help the Local Film Industry
- IELTS essay: Youngsters prefer to move to the city whereas seniors prefer the countryside
- Band 9 essay sample | People now live in different places during their lifetime. Is this a positive trend
- IELTS essay: The quality of life in cities in worsening
- Band 7 essay samples: Flights have become cheaper. Is this a positive development?
- Band 8 essay about the growing demand for fresh water resources
- IELTS essay about quality of life in cities
- IELTS essay: Should people be allowed to build homes of whatever design and size they prefer
- IELTS speaking test in Mumbai – January 2012 (Academic module)