With the availability of information on the internet, public libraries are no longer necessary. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
It is often argued that public libraries have become redundant because of the easy availability of information online. However, I totally disagree with this idea.
It is true that all information known to the mankind is now available on the internet. Internet accessibility has also improved over the years. However, this does not mean that public libraries are no longer needed.
Libraries are much more than mere access points for books and information. They serve some other purposes as well. For example, libraries provide a quiet environment where one can read and learn. Distractions of everyday life can kill the joy of reading. Libraries offer a solution to this problem. Also, when you are in an environment where everyone is reading, you will also be motivated to get your reading done. This may not be possible at home, even if you can find the same reading material online.
The internet is a vast pool of information but if you don’t know what you are looking for, it is nearly impossible to find relevant information online. Libraries, on the other hand, make research easier by grouping books on a particular topic together. Even if you don’t know anything about a given topic, you will still be able to find relevant information on that topic. Today’s libraries also provide access to computers and tablets so that users can search online if they need more information on a topic.
Internet accessibility may have improved over the years, but there are still millions of people who do not have access to the internet. Public libraries are the only sources of information for them. If libraries were to die, they would be in trouble.
To conclude, despite the existence of all information online, libraries are still important because they provide an environment conducive to reading and learning.
- Band 9 essay sample | Printed books and magazines have lost their importance
- IELTS sample essay: should internet be regulated?
- IELTS sample essay: Should governments provide free internet?
- IELTS essay: Is television a better source of information than traveling?
- Topic card: Talk about online shopping
- Band 9 Essay Samples | Advantages and Disadvantages of Online Shopping
- IELTS Writing – Reports
- IELTS Essay: Are public celebrations a waste of money?
- IELTS Essay: Has technology made us more efficient?
- IELTS Reading Success Tips