Band 8.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Increasing Car Ownership Has Made Many Cities One Big Traffic Jam
Here is a band 8.5 IELTS essay sample submitted by one of our students. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
Car ownership has increased so rapidly over the past 30 years that many cities in the world are now ‘one big traffic jam’. How true do you think this statement is? What measures can governments take to discourage people from using their cars?
Band 8.5 IELTS Essay Sample
It is true that the number of people having a car has increased exponentially in the last thirty years. While I completely agree with the view / opinion / argument that most metro cities have become ‘one big traffic jam’, there are many steps which governments can take to tackle this problem.
Traffic congestion is the most pressing issue that many cities across the world face today. Over the last few decades, the rate of car ownership has accelerated significantly, and if not controlled, it is likely to rise further. Admittedly, governments across the world have tried to resolve / fix this problem by widening existing roads; however, they have not been able to match the pace of increasing car ownership. Consequently, the problem of congestion has escalated to such a level that in big cities, it affects not only business activities but also the physical and mental well-being of residents. Businesses incur loss because of the delay in moving their goods and manpower. Urban residents also suffer because of the constant noise and air pollution caused by frequent traffic jams.
There are many measures that governments can initiate to contain this issue of increasing number of cars on roads. First of all, governments can increase the financial burden of owing a car by imposing green tax on the sale of new cars and fuel. They are likely to face resistance from voters; however, they can certainly gather public support by running awareness campaigns. Moreover, they can invest more in public transport. If people find that travelling by bus or commuter train can save their money and time, they will certainly prefer them to private vehicles.
In conclusion, although most cities struggle with the issue of traffic congestion, authorities can alleviate this situation / problem by imposing carbon tax on private vehicles and improving public transport infrastructure.
- Band 8 Essay Sample | Increasing Tax On Private Vehicles Will Reduce Traffic Congestion
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | In Order To Solve Traffic Problems People Should Live In Cities
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Increasing The Price Of Petrol Is The Best Solution For Traffic Congestion And Air Pollution
- IELTS essay sample | Why do people buy cars
- Band 7 Essay About Over Population In Cities
- Band 9 essay sample: How to reduce the number of cars on the road
- IELTS essay sample: Some people believe that governments should invest in trains to solve traffic problems
- IELTS essay: The quality of life in cities in worsening
- Band 8 essay sample about increasing the minimum age for driving
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Problems Caused By Overcrowding In Cities