Band 7 essay sample | Punishment is necessary to help children learn the difference between right and wrong
This band 7 IELTS essay was submitted by one of our students. Note that all band score estimates are approximate.
It is important for children to learn the difference between right and wrong at an early age. Punishment is necessary to help them learn this distinction. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
What sort of punishment should parents and teachers be allowed to use to teach good behaviour to children?
Band 7 IELTS essay sample
Punishment is nowadays a controversial topic. Although sometimes it is thought that punishment is not necessary to teach children about what is right and wrong, I believe that kids ought to learn that every cause could have a positive or negative consequence.
In the olden times harsh punishments were used as method to teach people the distinction between right and wrong. For example, in the past, both teachers and parents used physical punishment as an option to discipline children when they did something wrong. However, over time, punishment became very controversial to the point that psychologists and educators started rejecting its use. In spite of this, I strongly believe that some sorts of punishment are necessary to teach kids the difference between right and wrong.
Firstly, it is important to clarify that physical punishment must not be given at any moment. In other words, irrespective of children´s bad behaviour violence is not accepted under any circumstance. Nevertheless, some punishments such as refusing to give presents to children and restricting some benefits like play dates, the use of the TV, the Internet and any electronic device at home, as well as giving extra homework and social jobs such as helping other classmates and teachers and cleaning jobs during recess could be used by parents and teachers as lessons to show children that negative behaviour will always have a negative consequences.
In conclusion, despite opinions to the contrary, I think that some sorts of punishment will allow children to understand and learn what is right and what is wrong.
IELTS Writing correction service
Would you like to use our writing correction service? Detailed explanations of your mistakes will be provided with tips to improve your score. You can find more about our IELTS writing correction service here.
- Band 8 essay sample | School is the place to learn social values
- Band 9 essay sample | There should be fixed punishments for each crime
- IELTS sample essay: Should children be allowed to follow their instincts?
- IELTS essay about parents buying too many toys for their children
- IELTS essay: Parents should teach children about money
- IELTS Band 7 essay sample: Is capital punishment justified?
- Capital punishment should be abolished | Band 7 essay sample
- IELTS Essay: Some people believe that advertisements targeting children have negative effect on them
- IELTS essay sample: Advertisements targeting young children should be banned
- IELTS essay sample | Why do children misbehave in the class?