Band 7 Essay Sample | News editors decide what to broadcast on television and what to print in newspapers.
Here is a band 7 IELTS essay sample submitted by one of our students. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
News editors decide what to broadcast on television and what to print in newspapers. What factors do you think influence these decisions? Do we become used to bad news, and would it be better if more good news was reported?
Band 7 IELTS essay sample
It is true that content whether it is on television or in newspapers is in the hands of editors. They decide what to print or air based on several factors. Most of the time media houses highlight negative news because of its shock value; however, in my opinion, media should give more importance to positive news.
Mass media plays a significant role in our day to day lives as it keeps us updated about national and international affairs. However, the credibility of several news stories has been questioned in recent times due to a variety of factors. Firstly, some editors are profit-minded; they modify manipulate the truth and present it in such a way that it remains the talk of the town for a long time by adding gossips and rumours into it. For example, they publish or broadcast whatever they hear about celebrities without checking the facts first despite knowing that this is an unethical practice.
Secondly, many articles are politically influenced and oftentimes, the editors are helpless in this case. For example, while launching any new government scheme, they focus only on those aspects of it by which the political party can create its vote bank overlooking public interest. Finally, the selection of news is also influenced by the interests and concerns of the local public.
I believe that people are more accustomed to negative news due to their constant exposure to it and un-ethical marketing strategies of mass-media, but this practice / phenomenon has long-term negative consequences. The role of media is to make us aware of the happenings around and their implications on us. If they show better side of any news, people would be more fearless and confident about the surroundings. In addition to that children are vulnerable to negative news; they take it very seriously affecting their psychological health.
In conclusion, many factors influence an editor’s decisions while publishing any news. In my opinion, editors should show their commitment to the society by using their discretion while selecting news stories. It is also imperative that positive news gets the coverage it deserves.
- Band 9 essay sample | Should news editors give more importance to good news?
- IELTS essay sample: Should media give more importance to good stories?
- IELTS essay about the influence of newspapers on the society
- IELTS essay about the influence of newspapers
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | Few Young People Read Newspapers
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Young People No Longer Read Newspapers Or Watch Television
- Band 7.5 essay sample | News is often accompanied by images
- IELTS essay sample | Media is paying too much attention to famous people
- IELTS essay sample | Watching sports on television affects the health of young people
- IELTS essay sample: Television’s role in education