Band 7 essay sample | Learning a foreign language at primary school is beneficial
This band 7 IELTS essay sample was submitted by one of our readers. Note that all band score estimates are approximate.
Some experts believe that it is better for children to begin learning a foreign language at primary school rather than secondary school. Do the advantages of this outweigh disadvantages?
You should spend about 40 minutes on this task and write at least 250 words.
Band 7 IELTS essay sample
It is thought by some experts that learning a foreign language when children are in their pre-school age instead of secondary level is more beneficial. I think that learning a foreign language at an early stage can bring about more benefits than disadvantages for children.
Firstly, students can develop better understanding of other cultures by learning their language. This helps them to break the barrier of communication when they prefer to continue their studies abroad. Secondly, learning a language other than their mother tongue will help them in their job hunt. For instance, most of the job interviews, nowadays, are conducted in English. Therefore those who are fluent in this international language can find jobs easily. Thirdly, preschool age is the best time to imbibe a language.
Admittedly, there are some issues involved while children learn a foreign language. One problem is that students and their parents give more importance to that language than their own dialect. Take, for instance, the case of children studying in international schools. They rarely concentrate on their mother tongue and as a result they don’t have good reading or writing skills. However, this situation is rare, only happening to certain students. Another negative aspect is that children prefer to study in such schools that teach other languages regardless of the money they need to spend. This leads to fewer admissions in ordinary schools causing them to close down. This can affect children from poor financial background.
In conclusion, the critical benefits that children gain by learning a foreign language will stand them in good stead when they become adults and clearly outweigh any disadvantages.
Writing correction service
Would you like to use our writing correction service? Detailed explanations of your mistakes will be provided with tips to improve your score. You can find more about our IELTS writing correction service here.
- Band 7.5 essay sample about the reasons for learning a foreign language
- Band 9 essay sample: Is learning another foreign language before English a waste of time?
- IELTS essay about the reasons for learning a foreign language
- Speaking part 2: Talk about a situation where you had to communicate in a foreign language for the first time
- IELTS essay: Should children attend nursery schools prior to their primary studies?
- Cue card: Talk about a subject that you didn’t like learning at school
- IELTS essay sample | Should students attend extra classes after school
- Band 9 essay sample | Local history is more important than foreign history
- Band 9 essay sample: Online learning is better than classroom learning. Do you agree?
- IELTS essay sample | Money management should be taught at school