The following is an essay submitted by one of our students.
Some people believe that young people who commit serious crimes should be punished in the same way as adults . Do you agree or disagree?
You should spend about 40 minutes on this task. Write at least 25o words
Band 7 Essay Sample
In the recent years , there has been an intense debate in all judicial systems across the world over the fact that punishments should commensurate crime .Many people reckon that juveniles committing serious crimes should be penalized in the same way as adults . I strongly support that for heinous and serious crimes even the youngsters should be prosecuted in the same way as adult offenders .
To start with , the most compelling reason for support is that serious punishment for serious crime will deter them and other young criminals from offences . Serious crimes like murder, outraging the modesty of females, child molestation and anti-national activities are so severe, that even if performed by teenagers, deserve rigorous action so that it can serve as an example not only for them but also for other youths with criminal bent of mind. Lighter penalty, like sending them to reform-house, in such grievous acts will propagate crime while stringent action will prevent them from even planning the crime . For instance, a report published in Criminal Survey, a famous Law journal in 2011 revealed that 40 percent of juvenile delinquents repeat the crime when send to reform houses as against only 10 percent flouting laws when no special privilege is being given on the basis of age .
Moreover , punishment proportionate to crime gives a sense of justice for the bereaved family. Most of the grief- stricken families, who have lost their near and dear ones, hope that offenders should be punished in a similar way. Thus, it brings confidence among them regarding the unbiased nature of judicial system.
To conclude, on the basis of above arguments, I reiterate my view that heinous crimes should be severely punished despite of the age of the criminal.
- Band 8 essay sample: Many offenders commit more crimes after serving the first punishment
- Band 7 essay sample | There should be fixed punishments for each crime
- IELTS essay sample: Is education more effective than prisons in curbing crimes?
- IELTS essay about life imprisonment and death penalty
- IELTS essay sample about keeping criminals in imprisoned for long
- Band 9 essay sample | There should be fixed punishments for each crime
- Band 9 Essay Sample About Growing Crime Rates And Capital Punishment
- Band 9 essay sample | Eliminating poverty is the best way to reduce crime rates
- IELTS Essay: Should single adults be encouraged to study and live away from their parents
- Band 8 Essay Sample About Rising Crime Rates