This band 7.5 IELTS essay sample was submitted by one of our students. Send us your IELTS writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for just US $3.5.
Nowadays people buy a lot of things even though they don’t really need them. Why is it happening, in your opinion? Is it a positive or negative trend for the individual and the society?
Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
Since the end of the Second World War, the shopping concepts have continuously changed. Nowadays, people have become more careless about what they buy, and sometimes they even buy what they don’t need. In my opinion, this is a negative approach mainly due to a sociological reason which is behind this behavior.
The main social reason is that people continuously need to prove that they are successful in their careers and they are affluent. Therefore, they may buy many unnecessary items such as expensive clothes or luxurious cars that may not even be suitable for them. Take, for instance, the case of buying expensive speedy cars in Nigeria where the roads are not suitable for such cars. This clearly shows that people are trying to show off their wealth in a way that is potentially damaging to the society. Such negative attitude of the people can cause other social problems. While affluent people can afford to buy unnecessary products, destitute people are suffering from poverty and illiteracy and such behavior maybe harmful to them. Hence, if this wasted money is oriented toward improving poor people’s conditions, the society will become more stable and crimes will decrease drastically.
Unquestionably, that will foster a sense of fraternity and well-being among citizens and will enhance the overall economy of the country as people’s financial resources are directed to the most important sectors. Therefore, proceeding in this direction will devastate our communities. Thus, it has become mandatory that we change our damaging lifestyles.
To conclude, people create immense social pressure on other members of the society due to their damaging buying habits. They must give up this negative trend to ensure the happiness and welfare of all social sectors.
- Band 8.5 IELTS Essay Sample About People Are Buying Unwanted Things
- IELTS essay sample | Why do people buy cars
- Band 7 Essay Sample | People Are Buying Useless Things
- Band 9 Essay Sample | Eventually All Jobs Will Be Done by Robots
- IELTS essay about parents buying too many toys for their children
- IELTS Band 6.5 essay sample: Youngsters resort to violence to give vent to their frustration
- Band 6.5 essay | Young people spend their time in shopping malls
- IELTS essay: Certain jobs are more suitable for men than women
- IELTS essay sample: People are living longer. Is this a positive or negative development?
- IELTS essay sample | Should women join armed forces?