Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Convicted Criminals Commit More Crimes After Getting Released From Prison
Here is a band 7.5 essay sample submitted by one of our students. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
Many criminals commit crimes after they were set free. Research indicates that the people who were convicted criminals would often commit crimes when they are set free. Why is this the case? What can be done to solve this issue?
Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
According to the statistics, inmates are more likely to commit a crime within five years after their release. In this essay, I will discuss the factors that encourage convicts to reoffend and also suggest some solutions to tackle this problem.
One of the factors that can potentially lead to committing a crime repeatedly is lenient punishments. Many people argue that some of the punishments are not harsh and must be more strict. Moreover, it is argued that conditions in some prisons are too pleasant and the prisoners have many comforts, such as cable and internet. This cannot be considered as sufficient punishment, and also it does not act as a deterrent for those who commit crimes. Thus, community services could be a more effective form of punishment. In addition, criminals who does not pose a threat to the society can be given an opportunity to improve local areas by doing voluntary work.
Another reason that encourage reoffeding is that prisons often focus on punishments instead of rehabilitation. It’s generally known that imprisonment, in most cases, does not reform the criminals. On the contrary, it can create hardened criminals as in the prison they are in the company of other criminals. To solve this problem, proactive rehabilitation programs should be implemented in prisons to discourage people of committing a crime, and also in order to reform the criminals.
To sum up, there are at least a few ways to prevent convicted criminals from repeating offenses. One of them is to ask them to engage in community work. The other is to provide rehabilitation programmes for them. If criminals can lead a normal life and make meaningful contributions to the society after their release, they are less likely to reoffend.
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Many Criminals Commit Crimes Again After Serving Time In Prison
- IELTS essay sample about keeping criminals in imprisoned for long
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample About Awarding Longer Prison Sentences To Criminals
- IELTS essay sample: Is education more effective than prisons in curbing crimes?
- Band 8 essay sample: Many offenders commit more crimes after serving the first punishment
- Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample | There Is An Increase In The Number Of Crimes Committed Each Year
- Band 9 essay sample | There should be fixed punishments for each crime
- Band 9 Essay Sample | Educating Criminals in Prison Will Reduce Crime Rate
- Band 7 Essay Sample | Juveniles Committing Serious Crimes Should Be Punished In The Same Way As Adults
- Band 7 essay sample | There should be fixed punishments for each crime