The following is an essay submitted by one of our students.
In many countries, the amount of crime is increasing. What do you think are the main causes of crime?
How can we deal with those causes? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
Band 7.5 essay sample
Many nations are witnessing a drastic rise in crime rates. I think this is attributable to multiple reasons such as lack of education, unemployment, an inefficient judicial system, to name a few.
Firstly, education plays a crucial role in shaping an individual’s character. It is education that makes us capable of differentiating right and wrong early in our childhood. Lack of basic education is one amongst the primary causes for increasing crimes. For example, in my country India, a vast majority of population is illiterate. This has a deleterious impact on the society as a whole because people turn to crime without any thought, they cannot comprehend what’s right and wrong. To deal with this issue, primary education should be made available to everyone without any fees and government should take serious measures to make this mandatory for everybody.
Furthermore, the other main cause of the spike in crime rates is unemployment. As it is rightly said ” An empty mind is a devil’s workshop.” When people cannot find work, they have all the free time in the world. They think of crime as a shortcut to obtaining and possessing the riches of life, without any hard work. To tackle this problem, authorities should focus on increasing jobs and also introducing some compensation for unemployed people. In lieu of such compensation, they should be made to do social and community work.
In addition, an inefficient judicial system is equally to be blamed. Failing to punish the criminals in time is yet another reason why people are not afraid of committing crime. To exemplify, India reported the most cruel and inhuman gang rape case a few years ago. It got global attention, there was mass protest, people demanded immediate justice. In spite of such a movement, it took over three years to come out with a judgement and yet the criminals have still not been executed. In such cases, it is the slow and laid-back judicial system which is responsible for many rape cases being reported every single day. I think, if the government imposes severe implications on violating laws, crime rates will definitely see a rapid fall.
To conclude, there is a urgent need for the governments to focus on addressing illiteracy and unemployment problems, which attribute to the rise of crime rates. At the same time it demands for strengthening the judicial system so people fear the repercussions of committing a crime.
Reply Reply to All Forward More
- Band 9 essay sample | Eliminating poverty is the best way to reduce crime rates
- Band 7.5 report | Unemployment rates in the US and Japan
- IELTS essay: Why is the crime rate increasing?
- Band 9 essay sample | Children are getting into crime because of the lack of emotional support from parents and teachers
- IELTS essay about growing crime rate
- IELTS essay sample about keeping criminals in imprisoned for long
- Band 9 essay sample | There should be fixed punishments for each crime
- Crime rate among teenagers is on the rise: Essays written by students with suggested corrections
- IELTS essay sample: Effects of increasing population
- IELTS essay sample: Is education more effective than prisons in curbing crimes?