Band 7.5 essay sample | Ads encourage people to buy things they don’t want
The following is an essay submitted by one of our students.
Some people say that advertising encourages us to buy things that we really do not need. Others say that advertisements tell us about new products that may improve our lives.
Which viewpoint do you agree with? [General Training task 2]
Band 7.5 essay sample
Some people have a perspective that advertisements lure us to purchase goods that are not of necessity. But, others are of the view that advertising enlightens us of new items which might ameliorate our lives. I strongly agree that ads motivate consumers to buy unwanted things. In this essay, I will discuss both of these viewpoints.
There are compelling reasons why advertisements encourage people to own unneeded items. First of all, multinational corporations create meticulously crafted ads to entice consumers to purchase their products. For instance, fast food chain McDonald’s advertising artifacts tries to lure children with toys and playrooms in order to sell kid’s meal. Moreover, vigorous advertisement campaigns are promoted across plethora of channels such as TV, billboards, online and so on to gauze consumer attention to purchase goods that may be of no need to them. Consequently, people become more materialistic as advertising compounds their desire to own more items.
However, there are some merits of ads. The primary advantage to consumers is the awareness of new products. Informative advertisements can benefit people in their daily lives. For example, campaigns of medicinal fluid to remove minuscule warts can greatly help people with removing dead skin cells from their body. Furthermore, advertising of same kind of product from multiple vendors or manufacturers influence competitive pricing in the marketplace and thus greatly benefits us. For instance, toothpaste advertisements of Colgate, Crest or other brands provides one with varying options to choose from. Therefore, ad campaigns can enlighten consumers.
To conclude, I firmly believe that advertising lures us to buy unwanted items through meticulously crafted ads and an influx of campaigns across various channels. On the bright side, advertisements can be informative and influence pricing of goods.
- IELTS essay about the positive and negative aspects of advertising
- IELTS essay sample: Advertisements targeting young children should be banned
- IELTS essay sample: Should consumers avoid over packaged products?
- IELTS essay sample | The popularity of consumer goods is a reflection of the power of advertising
- Band 9 essay sample about hand-made and machine-made goods
- IELTS model essay: Are social skills more important than academic skills?
- IELTS essay: Compare the advantages and disadvantages of different mediums for car advertisements
- IELTS Essay: Some people believe that advertisements targeting children have negative effect on them
- IELTS essay: Obesity can be tackled by increasing the price of junk food items
- IELTS essay: Performance based pay packets encourage employees to work harder. Do you agree?