Band 7.5 essay sample about the reasons for learning a foreign language
Some people say that the only reason for learning a foreign language is to travel or work in a foreign country. Others say that these are not the only reasons why someone should learn a foreign language. Discuss both these views and give your opinion.
Do you have difficulty writing a discuss both sides essay? Watch our Youtube video to learn about the correct structure of this type of IELTS essays.
Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
In the recent years, the world has seen an unprecedented increase in the number of people learning a foreign language. Some people claim that the reason to learn a foreign language is to travel or work in overseas countries. Conversely, others believe that these are not the only reasons why people should learn a foreign language; I agree with this statement.
It is true that people are keen to learn a foreign language in order to travel or work in a foreign country. To be clear, in the last few years, globalization left a huge impact on the economy of all nations and promoted the growth of multinational companies. Therefore, the rise in the number of people working overseas resulted in an increase in the demand for learning a foreign language. In addition, people need to learn foreign language if they want to travel to overseas countries. For example, if people want to visit a foreign country, they have to learn basic conversations in the local language to communicate with native speakers in daily life.
Nonetheless, traveling or working is not the only reasons why some people learn foreign languages. People need a foreign language for their studies. Many academic programs make learning a foreign language compulsory. When students learn a foreign language, they can understand and appreciate diverse cultures. People learn new languages for job purposes as well. For instance, many professional jobs in the UK and Australia require IELTS or TOEIC certification. Some learn languages because they love it.
In conclusion, the number of people learning a foreign language has increased dramatically. There are several reasons for this. While some of these are work or travel related, others are purely personal or recreational in nature.
- Band 9 essay sample: Is learning another foreign language before English a waste of time?
- Speaking part 2: Talk about a situation where you had to communicate in a foreign language for the first time
- IELTS essay: All learning should be done online
- IELTS Speaking practice test
- Band 9 essay sample: Online learning is better than classroom learning. Do you agree?
- IELTS essay sample | People prefer to watch foreign films rather than local films
- Band 9 essay sample: Can we allow languages to die?
- Sample essay: A number of historic buildings have been destroyed. What are the reasons for this?
- IELTS essay sample | Should languages be allowed to die?
- Band 9 essay sample: Should governments invite foreign companies to open branches?