Don’t confuse assent and ascent. An assent is an act or gesture of agreement or permission.
- You may leave the hospital only with the doctor’s assent.
Assent can also be a verb.
- Since the majority of members assented to our views, we decided to go ahead.
- You never assent to my views on anything.
An ascent, of course, is an upward climb or movement.
- The road made a sharp ascent to the top of the hill.
- His ascent from a production boy to a superstar took only five years.
- IELTS Vocabulary – verbs indicating fall and rise
- Words commonly confused
- IELTS vocabulary – note on the use of adjectives and adverbs
- Acrid, acrimony and acrimonious | IELTS vocabulary
- IELTS vocabulary practice test
- Across and through
- IELTS Vocabulary – Idioms and Expressions
- Band 7 essay about driving age
- Adverb particles and prepositions
- IELTS Vocabulary List