Artists need a certain amount of freedom to develop their creativity. Artist should have total freedom to express any thoughts and ideas. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Here is a band 7 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 7 IELTS essay sample
It is true that in order to create something new, a certain level of liberty / freedom is required. Some people argue that artists should have absolute freedom to write, speak, act and create. While I admit that new inventions or innovations require some sort of freedom, I would also argue that absolute free-will can hurt the emotions of others.
To commence with, there are numerous reasons why liberty is crucial to develop something which has not existed before. Firstly, the tendency of the human mind is that it can broaden the realms of consciousness if it is not restricted. Since humans are rational thinkers, they can present their unique pieces of art like paintings, stories, and songs not only to entertain people but also to deliver a humanitarian message to individuals. For example, great writers and artists like Shakespeare, Leonardo da Vinci and A R Rehman would not be able to produce great works, if they did not have artistic freedom. They were able to create such things and reach heights because of the autonomy and the independence of thoughts. Today, people all across the globe enjoy their artistic creations.
In spite of the aforementioned arguments, I would argue that the sheer freedom to express personal feelings or ideas can hurt the sentiments of other people. The world consists of people of different backgrounds, religions, and everyone has different perceptions and beliefs. For example, a caricature a God or Goddess of one religion can create resentment among people of that particular faith and lead to a chaotic situation in the society. Therefore, the government should limit their freedom. Besides, the lyricists and the musicians have a significant impact on people, especially youngsters. If they write obscene lyrics and sing vulgar songs, it would instigate the youth to indulge in vulgar acts. Therefore, artists should keep the influence of their content on young-blood in mind before presenting their ideas to the world.
To recapitulate, independence is vital for expressing thoughts. However, I believe that it is also important to apply some restrictions on creative liberty because artistic freedom cannot be at the expense of the values and sentiments of the society.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Some people think that artists should be given total freedom | Band 8.5 IELTS essay sample
- Artists need a certain amount of freedom to develop their creativity | Band 8.5 IELTS essay sample
- Band 9 essay sample | Is freedom of speech essential in a free society?
- IELTS essay: Are artists valuable to society?
- Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample | Artists Should Receive Government Aid
- Many Artists Earn Low Salaries And Therefore Should Receive Funding From The Government | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- More Artists Earn Low Salaries And Hence The Government Should Support Them | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Artists Should Receive Funding From The Government | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay sample | Should governments fund artists?
- Why you should organize your thoughts before writing your essay