Are mobile phones a necessity for young children?
IELTS essay topic
The dangers and complexities of the modern world have made the mobile phone an absolute necessity for children.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?
An increasing number of children now carry mobile phones. These gadgets were once a luxury for teens and adults, but now they have become a toy for young children. Some people believe that mobile phones have become an absolute necessity for children because of the safety concerns existing in the modern world. I don’t quite agree with this view. While I admit that mobile phones benefit children in many ways, I don’t think that they are a must-have.
Mobile phones are designed to help people stay connected on the go. The world is becoming a dangerous place, especially for children. The increase in crime rates and vehicular traffic has also increased concerns over the safety of children. Gone are the days when children could travel safely without putting themselves in danger. Since mobile phones allow parents to get in touch with their children whenever they want to, many parents give them to their children. The benefits of this arrangement are obvious.
However, in spite of all the arguments in favor of giving mobile phones to children, I don’t think that they are an all-in-one solution for all the problems faced by parents and children. In fact, carrying expensive mobile phones actually threatens the safety of children. What’s more, many schools have payphone facility that children can use in case of an emergency. Some parents have too much faith in technology. They believe that if their children carry mobile phones they are safe from all the dangers. Unfortunately, such false notions invite danger. In my opinion, young children are not supposed to be allowed to travel without the supervision of adults, be they teachers or parents.
To sum up, I don’t believe that mobile phones make children protected. I do see the benefits of giving children mobile phones, but I do not agree that they are an absolute necessity. If parents and teachers are really concerned about the safety of their children, what they need to do is to make children aware of the dangers lurking in the corner.
- IELTS Essay: What effects do traveling parents have on their children?
- Band 9 essay sample: Should mobiles be banned in public places?
- IELTS essay sample: Advertisements targeting young children should be banned
- IELTS Essay: Friends have a greater influence than parents on young people
- Band 7 essay sample: Friends’ influence over young people
- IELTS Essay: Is it good for children to be brought up by their grandparents?
- IELTS essay: Parents should teach children about money
- Some people believe that giving a weekly allowance will help children to develop good spending habits. Do you agree or disagree?
- IELTS essay sample | Should parents help their children with homework?
- Band 8 essay sample | When both parents work how are children affected?