Be sure to spell and pronounce anecdote (an-ek-dote) properly. Don’t confuse it with antidote ( anti-dote). An anecdote is a short narrative, often humorous.
- Public speakers often begin their talk with humorous anecdotes.
- Throughout the journey she entertained us with her witty anecdotes.
An antidote is something that counteracts, acts anti- to or against, a poison or disease. Example:
- Annie told an anecdote about her childhood.
- Is there an antidote for strychnine?
- Doctors administered an antidote to the boy who had been bitten by the snake.
- A hobby is a good antidote for boredom.
Source: Reader’s Digest Family Word Finder