Amount and number confuse some people. Use amount when referring to quantities that can’t be counted.
Examples are: a large amount of snow, a small amount of money.
- What is the amount of my bill?
- The recipe calls for a small amount of sugar.
Use number when referring to things that can be counted.
Examples are: a large number of people, a small number of apples.
- A number of families now own cars.
- A large number of people are migrating.
- Band 9 essay sample | Increase in the amount of garbage reaching landfills
- Band 9 essay sample: How to reduce the number of cars on the road
- Band 9 report about cellular and fixed line call volume
- IELTS sample essay: people now spend a lot of money on their wedding
- Some people believe that giving a weekly allowance will help children to develop good spending habits. Do you agree or disagree?
- IELTS essay: Compare the advantages and disadvantages of different mediums for car advertisements
- Band 8 report sample | Household spending patterns