Some people believe that the problem of illegal drugs can be solved by just legalising all drugs | Band 9 IELTS essay sample
Some people believe that the problem of illegal drugs can be solved by just legalising all drugs. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this?
Here is a band 9 essay on this topic. Need help with writing? Send me your writing samples and get them corrected.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
The sale and consumption of drugs are illegal in almost all countries. Despite this, drugs are readily available from illegal dealers. They can even be bought online. Since illegal drugs have become quite a big problem, some people suggest that all forms of drugs should be legalised. I fully disagree with this view.
Legalising all forms of drugs will only complicate the situation. If people can walk into a nearby store and buy cocaine or marijuana, there will be a dramatic increase in the number of drug addicts all over world. Drug abuse will be particularly rampant among young people. Obviously, any attempt to legalise all drugs will be the recipe for disaster.
Of course, there are certain drugs with healing properties. For example, doctors sometimes prescribe marijuana to treat some health problems. Because of this reason, it is legal in some countries. Perhaps other countries too can legalise drugs with medical properties; however, before doing so they need to enact appropriate laws that will prevent the abuse of legalised drugs.
Consumption of drugs leads to several health problems. That is the reason drugs are banned in most countries. Many people who consume drugs are actually unaware of the harmful consequences. They get into substance abuse when they are still in their teens and at this age they are too young to understand that drugs will ultimately destroy their life. For this reason, it is imperative that the government should launch massive campaigns to create awareness about the harmful side effects of drugs. These campaigns should primarily target teens and youngsters. The government must also enact laws that give stringent punishment to drug dealers.
In conclusion, illegal drugs have become a major problem all over the world; however, legalizing them is not the solution. Instead, the government should come down hard on drug dealers. It must also create awareness about the harmful effects of drug addiction.
- Band 8 Essay Sample About Increasing Use of Drugs
- IELTS essay: Teenagers are becoming addicted to drugs
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Laws That Prohibit The Sale Of Heroin Should Be Applied To Tobacco As Well
- It seems clear that obesity in today’s society is to some extent due to the availability of fast food | Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
- Band 9 Essay Sample | Consumption of Fast Foods
- Band 7.5 Essay Sample | Should the same laws which prohibit the sale & consumption of heroin be applied to tobacco? Discuss.
- IELTS essay about the tobacco menace
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | Is Public Health The Responsibility Of The Government?
- Band 9 essay sample: Why do people walk less now?
- IELTS essay sample | Spending money on preventing illnesses is better than spending it on treating them