Abortion Has Increased Rapidly And Become A Controversial Topic | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
Recently, abortion has increased rapidly and become a controversial topic. Some people suppose that abortion should be legal while others are against it. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
Here is a band 9 IELTS essay on this topic. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
Abortion has been a controversial topic for centuries. Actually, even today, it is illegal even in some progressive societies. Some people insist that abortion should be legalized because a woman has the right to decide whether or not she wants to give birth to a baby. Others opine that abortion is immoral because no one has the right to take a life. In my opinion, women should have complete rights over their body and if they choose to terminate a pregnancy, they should be allowed to do so.
To begin with, each pregnancy takes its toll on a woman’s body. If she is not physically or mentally prepared for the baby, forcing her to carry it to full term will not be beneficial for either her or her baby. Also, in some cases, the pregnancy could be the result of rape or unwelcome marriage. In such cases too, the woman should be allowed to terminate it because forcing her to give birth to the baby will cause considerable emotional trauma to the mother and it could even hurt her relationship with her newborn.
Conversely, many people believe that only God can take a life and as such abortion is against His will. I do not quite agree with this view. While it is true that every life is precious, just giving birth to a baby is not sufficient. What is even more important is the being able to give a respectable and healthy upbringing to the child. Women who are not capable of doing this because of their physical, emotional, financial or other situations have a valid and ethical reason to terminate the pregnancy. They should not be forced to give birth to an unwanted child by making abortion illegal in the name of morality.
In conclusion, abortion should be legal in all countries because making it illegal violates several fundamental rights of women. Being able to raise a baby with love and affection is a lot more important than giving birth and those who are not capable of doing so should never have to continue with the pregnancy simply because it does not help the life they bring into this world.
- Some People Suppose That Abortion Should Be Legal | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS sample essay: Why do couples delay parenthood?
- All fathers should be entitled to time-off from work when their children are born | IELTS essay sample
- Fatherhood Ought To Be Emphasized As Much As Motherhood | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- In Many Countries Couples Decide To Have A Child At An Advanced Age | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Over The Last Few Decades Media Has Promoted The Image Of Young Thin Women As Being Ideal | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 essay sample: Stay-at-home dads
- Speaking part 2 | Talk about an article you read in the newspaper
- Topic card: Talk about an elderly person you know
- The Internet Has Greatly Increased Our Access To Information | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample